Join Our Global Grassroots Movement
Join us in mobilizing new generations of scholars working across borders .
...across national generational disciplinary borders.
When you join the STAR Scholars Network, you support the work of over 15,000 scholars and students at thousands of universities worldwide.
The Society for Transnational Academic Research (STAR) is a new kind of international research association where over half of its members identify with low-income or lower-middle income countries. It is inclusive by design while promoting integrity in scholarly research and publication for new generations of scholars and students.
We are funded much like public radio. Membership is about supporting our work, not access to it. We have expenses to cover, but we believe money should never be the reason why someone does not have access to our programs and publications. They are accessible for all forever due to the generous support of small-dollar contributions from members who have seen first-hand the life-changing impact of our work.
Knowledge need not be locked behind a paywall for-profit or only open if you pay a fee. Programs need not be limited to those who can pay-for-access and closed to those who have financial need. A different world is possible once people begin to see it; if we mobilize and, together, begin to be it.
Click on any of the options below to learn more about:
Join us in advancing upward academic mobility.
Your membership supports new generations of scholars, advances open access to knowledge and research, and build human-to-human relationships across national, generational, and disciplinary borders. Each person who joins the network joins a global grassroots movement shaping the future of higher education. Your membership provides:
- Support for the open access mission of Open Journals in Education (OJED) and Book Series, so our journals remain free to publish, free to access, free to read for all forever for libraries around the world to provide access and increase impact
- Support for the Millennium Scholars Program, a free program that supports the advancement of new generations of scholars from low, lower-middle, and upper-middle income countries
- Support for programs and online events that provide actionable teaching tools, research-based insights, and peer-to-peer connections to build human-to-human relationships across national, generational, and disciplinary borders
- Support for small dollar grants for multilingual programming by Country Directors in local languages to support the advancement of new generations of scholars and graduate students working across borders in their context
- Support for full membership benefits without cost for scholars and graduate students in less wealthy countries or universities who request free membership so money is never a reason why someone cannot participate in our society.
Join us in opening possibilities for alternative futures for higher education.
Our members benefit from research-based insights, peer-to-peer connections, and leadership development programming from our network of scholars and leaders around the world, including:
- Free registration to attend and/or present at our Global Conference (Regular registration: $39 USD/person)
- Enhanced profile in online community: Bio and list of research interests, select publications and social media featured on our website for discovery and networking with other members
- Special member-only discounted registration rates to Regional Conferences and events hosted by our Country Directors
- Connection to academically focused special interest groups where members align work, share resources, solve issues, and build relationships with academic colleagues working across borders
- Connection to national and ethnic special interest groups focused on support for families living across borders and social support that connects diaspora with shared country and ethnic heritages
- Eligibility for researchers, faculty, or academic staff to apply for recognition as a STAR Fellow based on a distinguished record of professional achievement and service as an ambassador for our society
- Eligibility to nominate someone for any of the A. Noam Chomsky Global Connections Awards which celebrate the power of human connections through collaborative research and teaching between scholars in two or more countries
- Eligibility to add job postings to the job board forum on our website and include job postings in our communications to members
- Subscription to Global Connections newsletter that highlights research, publication, and professional development opportunities
- Access to our library of resources, which includes recording of past virtual events and materials to build the network and knowledge needed to advance transnational academic careers
All members receive the same benefits. We suggest three options based on World Bank country classification of low and lower-middle income, upper-middle, and upper income countries. Researchers, faculty, and academic leaders may select the suggested amount for the country (or countries) with which they most identify, whether it be by birth, cultural heritage, or current residence.
All members receive the same benefits. We suggest three options based on World Bank country classification of low and lower-middle income, upper-middle, and upper income countries. Graduate students and postdocs may select the suggested amount for the country (or countries) with which they most identify, whether it be by birth, cultural heritage, or current residence.
Request a Free Membership
Our work is supported by the generosity of members who have seen first-hand the life-changing impact of our work on scholars and students worldwide.
We believe money should never be the reason why someone cannot participate in the Society of Transnational Academic Researchers (STAR). If you would like to join but truly cannot afford it, then you qualify for free membership. We grant all requests. No questions asked.Request Free Membership
Provide membership to everyone at your institution.
Institutional Membership is the best option if there are 10 or more faculty, postdocs, or graduate students at your institution who want to join our society. Institutional Membership is for colleges, universities, foundations, institutes, and professional organizations looking to support the academic advancement of international faculty, postdocs, graduate students, or academic administrators at their institution.
We immediately invest all membership contributions to support the work of our society. Member contributions support four major areas: scholarships and fellowship programs (30%), open access research and publication (30%), small grants for local grassroots initiatives (20%), and our annual Global Conference (20%).
We are an all volunteer-powered network supported by small-dollar contributions from our members, as well as the generous support of institutional members, sponsors, and donors who support our work. We have no administrative salaries since members of our leadership team are all employed at colleges, universities, and NGOs worldwide, and volunteer their time and contribute their vision, energy, and resources in leading our society.
Your support makes a difference .
Join our efforts in advancing upward academic mobility for new generations of international scholars and graduate students through:
- Mentoring across borders to support and celebrate new generations of scholars.
- Leadership across borders to reimagine alternative futures for global higher education.
- Open access to high-quality research across borders for greater impact.
- Community-building across borders to support our colleagues, families, and communities.