A. Noam Chomsky Global Connections Awards
Call for Nominations
The STAR Scholars Network is committed to promoting transnational research and collaboration between scholars in different countries (e.g., joint publications and research partnerships) that impacts humanity positively beyond national borders. The Global Connections Awards recognize “STAR Scholars” for their achievements and distinctive contributions to transnational research that demonstrates the best of scholarship and/or collaboration among scholars around the world. Every year, the STAR Scholars Network provides awards in the following categories:
DESCRIPTIONS AND ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
North Star Medal of Lifetime Achievement
The North Star Medal of Lifetime Achievement is the STAR Scholars Network’s premier acknowledgment of outstanding achievement and success in transnational research. The medal honors a senior scholar whose lifelong service, leadership and contributions serve as a guiding “North Star” for scholarly work and research collaboration.
- Candidates must demonstrate a history of educational leadership that spans a minimum of 15 years, as evidenced by their teaching, research, service, and mentorship.
- Candidates must have an extensive record of publications that exemplify a long-standing commitment to fostering transnational research connections among scholars around the world.
- Candidates must have a scholarly record that has had a visible impact in creating a more humane world.
Shining Star Research Award
Each year, the STAR Scholars Network celebrates up to two (2) exemplary works in translingual and/or transnational research. The Shining Star Research Award recognizes influential scholarly contributions in any discipline and language. Submissions could include scholarly journal articles, books, book chapters, and other forms of scholarship.
- The scholarly work must have been been “published” in the last 12 months.
- The award recognizes the creators, primary author(s), editor(s) and/or related primary contributor(s).
Rising Star Emerging Scholar Award
Each year, the STAR Scholars Network recognizes up to two (2) emerging scholars who have shown significant promise and commitment to transnational research. One award will recognize an emerging scholar (post-terminal degree completion) in any field who has distinguished as a rising leader in transnational research. The other award will recognize a current graduate student who has demonstrated significant promise in advancing transnational research through publications, leadership, or other relevant contributions.
- Non-student candidates must have completed their terminal degree no more than five years prior to consideration.
- Candidates must have demonstrated scholarly promise and a commitment to transnational research, as evidenced by their teaching, research, service, and/or mentorship.
Star Humanitarian Award
This award recognizes humanitarian efforts in creating equity and/or scholarly balance. Applicants could be organizations (e.g., institutions of higher education and NGOs) that have had a profound global equity-oriented impact and/or a humanitarian whose work is fundamental to equity, transnational connectivity, and/or scholarship. The STAR Scholars Network will recognize an organization or individual that is both a humanitarian and an innovator. The recipient’s work must demonstrate potential for global reach and impact.
- The applicant’s work must have transnational impact.
- The work must have potential to benefit humanity in multiple regions of the globe.
STAR Scholars Network members and others are invited to submit e-nominations. Only complete applications will be considered. Please note that self-nominations will not be considered. Anyone in the STAR leadership team, including country directors or program directors, is NOT eligible to apply. All award recipients will be required to be members of the STAR Scholars Network by the time the awards are given at the STAR Global Conference.
All nominations must include the following:
- Nominator information (i.e., name, email, phone number, title, and affiliation)
- Candidate(s) information (i.e., name or title, email, phone number, and/or affiliation)
- The award category
- A brief bio of the nominee (< 150 words, to be used in promotional material if selected)
- A brief description (< 500 words) of the candidate’s contribution to transnational research and why they should receive the specific Global Connections Award
- Upload as one PDF that includes all supporting documents such as the nominee’s CV/curriculum vitae, letters of nomination, an example of the candidate’s scholarly contributions, or any other supporting documentation that demonstrates a commitment to transnational research.
Awards Selection Committee oversees the award categories, nominating procedures, submission criteria, and award selection. Awards will be announced at the annual STAR Global Conference.
Awards Committee is chaired by Dr. Keith Wright. All submissions will be carefully reviewed by committee members.
The Global Connections Awards nominations must be submitted by 5 pm ET, August 1. Nominations and attachments must be submitted online at https://starscholars.org/global-connections-award
Questions regarding the awards should be directed to Dr.Keith Wright. Technical questions about the submission system may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org